It can be incredibly unsettling when you feel like someone is hiding something from you. If that person happens to be your boyfriend, the feeling of betrayal and mistrust can take over every aspect of your relationship.
The fear of being cheated on can weigh heavily on a person's mind-- but how do you know if your gut feeling is valid? In this blog post, we'll discuss the signs that indicate a cheating boyfriend so that you can get to the heart of what's going on in your relationship.
To effectively answer the question, is my boyfriend cheating? You need to take an overall account and not focus on one aspect only to know if your boyfriend is cheating.
Look for the warning signs of your boyfriend's behavior
- He's become more aloof and disconnected from his usual self
- There's no more emotional intimacy because he doesn't ask or care about your thoughts or feelings anymore
- He starts lying or gets defensive or evasive if you ask questions about where he's been
- He's often texting and calling, yet secretive about who is on the other line
- Spends more time away and less time with you
- He's lost his desire for physical intimacy with you, or he'll want more sex
- Your boyfriend suddenly starts working longer hours
- Unidentified charges have begun appearing on his credit card and bank statements
- He puts a sudden effort into his grooming and personal style
- He keeps his phone and computer password-protected and doesn't like you using them
- Lately, he has become more opinionated and prone to arguments with you
- He's spending significantly more time with his friends and going out without you
- He's stopped sharing his thoughts and feelings with you
- He's more guarded with his plans and his whereabouts. This is definitely a red flag
- He's seemed to develop a newfound zeal for exercising at the gym
- All too often, you find yourself unable to get in touch with him or to wait forever for a response
- He's splurging on new clothes, and activities far more than he usually does
- He's always in a rush to finish up your conversations
- Upon asking him about his day or what he's been up to, he often becomes defensive and irritable.
- He is always watching his phone for new messages
- He's lost interest in spending time with his family or friends anymore
- Other signs can be he stops being affectionate with you
- He doesn't talk about your future together anymore
- He prefers attending events without you
- He experiences frequent mood swings when in the same room with you
- He's not interested in discussing your relationship or addressing any issues or concerns
- He isn't interested in talking about your relationship or even addressing any issues
- He doesn't want to do any activities with you
- He has a newfound preference for spending time with his unmarried pals
- He doesn't incline to engage in meaningful conversations with you.
- He has no desire to connect with your family members or meet up with any of your friends
- He doesn't seem enthusiastic about exploring new experiences together.
- He doesn't say 'I love you' anymore
- He tries to make you feel guilty for you cheating on him or flirting with other men (even if you haven't)
- His excuses for not spending time with you don't make sense
- His friends are nervous around you or avoid you
- Your friends notice something's off about him
- He talks about taking a break from your relationship/wants an open relationship
- Your sex life with him feels different
- You've got a gut instinct
In your own relationship, gather evidence of your boyfriend cheating.
- Look for changes in his behavior
- Look at his phone to see if he has gotten strange text messages, calls, or emails. Also, look for any dating apps he may have downloaded or used.
- You can check if he has been talking to someone he is not supposed to be talking to by looking at his social media accounts.
- There are some physical signs that a person might be cheating. For example, you might find lipstick on their shirt or a strange scent on their clothes.
- Following him may sound bad, but if you think he is cheating, you may need to follow him to see where he goes and who he meets.
- Hiring a private investigator is an option if you do not feel comfortable following the person yourself. A private investigator can help to gather evidence.
- If you are close to his friends, ask them about his behavior or who he has been hanging out with.
- You can tell if your husband is cheating on you by looking at his credit card statements. Look for strange charges, like hotel stays or dinners that he may have had with someone else.
Confront him about his cheating
- It's essential to prepare yourself. This means you should think about how you feel and what you want to say. Also, bring with, your evidence.
- It is crucial not to blame or accuse your partner. This will make him not want to talk about the problem.
- When you talk to your partner about your concerns, it is essential, to be honest. Tell him why you think he might be cheating and your problems.
- When you talk about your concerns, use "I" statements. This will help you express your feelings without sounding like you are accusing the other person. For example, "I feel hurt and upset when I see you texting someone else late at night."
- Listen to what he says after you ask him. He might have a good reason for what he did or say that he didn't do it. Please pay attention to his words and think about them.
- It's important to stay calm and not get emotional when confronting your partner. Getting angry or emotional can make it harder to resolve the situation.
- If talking to your partner does not help, you can both try going for some counselling. This way, you can work through your problems with the help of a professional and find a resolution.
What should I do if my boyfriend admits to cheating on me?
If your boyfriend admits to cheating on you, staying calm and listening to what he has to say is essential. Ask him why he cheated and how he intends to make it up to you. If talking does not help, consider getting professional counseling to work through the issue. Ultimately, it is up to you.
What are some ways to prevent cheating in a relationship?
Be honest with each other and communicate openly. Make sure you trust each other, set clear boundaries, and respect your partner's wishes. Spend quality time together and focus on strengthening your bond. If necessary, consider getting professional help if there are trust issues.
Infidelity Beliefs and Behaviours: A Broad Examination of Cheating in Romantic Relationships
Scripps College of Communication of Ohio University: The Secrets of Infidelity
University of West Georgia: A Discourse Analytic Approach to Accusations of Infidelity
Social Networking Sites and Online Infidelity